Our energy efficiency project at the Civic Centre of Dollard-des-Ormeaux won Tuesday, February 4, the well-known Energia Award in the Existing building - institutional sector category. This very prestigious recognition is organized by the Quebec Association of Energy Efficiency (AQME).
For the 24th consecutive year , the ceremony celebrated the excellence in energy efficiency in 13 different categories such as construction, technological innovations, industrial or manufacturing processes, transportation, integrated management and economy of GHG.
First named among the 45 finalists of the year, our project has been honored before some 430 guests.
- Replacement of the refrigeration system (R22), 35 years, with various energy efficiency measures made possible through our system
- The ice rinks were closed in April 2012 and reopened in September 2012
- Implementation of the refrigeration system with transcritical CO2
- Brine under the existing slabs
- 100% heat recovery of direct CO2 for the heating ice rinks steps and for the dehumidification
- Implementation of a heat recovery system for heating the swimming pool, library, gym, and domestic hot water
- Reduced the energy consumption of 4,700,000 kWh after 1 year (33.4%)
- Savings for the taxpayer of 257,000 dollars per year
- 81% of reduction in the heating expenses, compared to a traditional system
- Period of return on investment of 3.9 years (including grants)
Secondary impacts :
- Reduction of the space used by the refrigeration of 60%
- No water tower required, no risk of legionella
- 10% reduction in maintenance costs compared to a conventional system
- Reduces by 1800 the greenhouse gas emissions compared to R22
To find the press release, click here.